The Virgin and Child with the Young Saint John the Baptist
Previtali, Andrea (1480-1528) | Painter
The Dresden Gemäldegalerie bought the painting at an auction in 1874 from the Alexander Barker Collection in London. In 1926, following the partition deed of the former Royal House of Wettin and the Free State of Saxony, it was given to the Wettin family. They sold the painting in 1938 without any persecution-related pressure. The Berlin art dealer Karl Haberstock, who was one of the main art sellers for the Nazi state, sold it directly to Adolf Hitler for the so-called Linz Special Commission. After 1945, the Federal Republic of Germany became the owner. In the meantime, the work went on loan to the City Museum Schloss Rheydt in Mönchengladbach, from where it returned to Dresden in 2003 as a loan of the Federal Republic of Germany.
A sticker on the back of the painting shows the number 107 and still testifies to the fact that the painting was once registered in the so-called Linz Special Commission.
- Material & Technique
- Oil on poplar panel
- Gemäldegalerie Alte Meister
- Inventory number
- DLN Nr. 2003/1