Still-Life with Two Calves’ Heads
Paudiß, Christopher (c. 1625-before 1666) | Painter
The history of the Dresden State Art Collections is closely connected with the former Saxon Royal House of Wettin, as the winding path of this painting shows. The still life had been in Moritzburg Palace near Dresden since 1723. Following the partition deed of the former Royal House of Wettin and the Free State of Saxony, the palace and its furnishings became the private property of the Wettin family in 1924. In 1945, as a result of the confiscation and expropriation of the Wettin property, the painting was transferred to the Dresden collections. In 1999, it was restituted to the House of Wettin together with around 18,000 other artworks and – like the majority of them – was acquired for the Dresden State Art Collections.
Since 2008, the Free State of Saxony has been funding the inventory and provenance research project "Daphne" in order, among other things, to systematically examine all accessions since 1945 for a possible Wettin provenance. The research and negotiations resulted in a final agreement between the Free State of Saxony and the Verein Haus Wettin Albertinische Linie in 2014.
- Material & Technique
- Oil on panel
- Gemäldegalerie Alte Meister
- Inventory number
- Inv.-Nr. 99/66